Patient Information

Medicare funded support

The government provides a number of financial supports through Medicare to assist with the financial costs of children with chronic and complex conditions.

Enhanced Care Plan (ECP)

The Medicare allied health and dental care initiative allows chronically ill children and teenagers who are being managed by their General Practitioner under an Enhanced Primary Care (EPC) plan access to Medicare rebates for allied health services. It covers 5 sessions per calendar year for certain allied health services (e.g. Speech therapy, Occupational therapy, Physiotherapy and Psychologist). Some allied health services may charge fees above the Medicare rebate.

Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP)

The GP Mental Health Care Plan is a part of the Better access to Mental Health Care initiative. Medicare rebates are available for patients to receive up to 10 services per calendar year managed by their General Practitioner. This will cover services such as Psychology or Occupational Therapy but not Speech therapy.

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is an Australia-wide scheme that supports people, including children, with permanent and significant disability. It provides individualised support for eligible participants with permanent and significant disability, their families and carers.

There are criteria for those children with chronic complex medical problems such as Autism, Global developmental delay and a number of syndromes and genetic disorders.

National Disability Insurance Agency - phone 1800 800 110 for information regarding National Disability Insurance Scheme.

The process can take months and it is very important to get all the paperwork and documentation correct in order to make the process run smoothly.

Autistic Spectrum Disorder

  • Autism Advisor - phone 1300 978 611 for additional information regarding autism and role of therapy as well as evidence-based interventions.
  • Visit Autism Spectrum Australia - For information regarding workshops.
  • Centrelink - phone 132 717 to obtain Carer Allowance Form.
  • Contact your ChildCare Director - for information regarding Inclusion Support Subsidy.
  • Contact your School Principal - for information regarding integration funding at school.
  • Contact your General Practitioner - to obtain referral for speech pathology / occupational therapy / psychology.